Europe Day Celebration 2023 in Venice
From 5th to 31st May 2023 Europe Day Celebration has taken place in Venice, the great Venetian event, now in its IX edition, as a sign of the pro-European nature of the City of Venice and of the institutional partners that have always collaborated with it.
This year’s edition was "Europe of freedom and rights".
The event aimed to celebrate the two most significant historical dates for Europe:
- 5 May 1949: the establishment of Council of Europe by the Treaty of London
- 9 May 1950: the birth of the European Union with the "Schuman Declaration" on the occasion of the Paris speech (click here to learn more)
The date of the event is significant since 9 May represents the Europe Day. On 9 May 1950, a few years after the end of the Second World War, which had devastated the old continent, Robert Schuman, the French Foreign Minister, presented the proposal to create an organized Europe, essential to the maintenance of peaceful relations between its constituent States. The proposal, known as the "Schuman Declaration", is considered to be the birth certificate of the European Union.
Around this symbolic date, every year, Europe Day is celebrated with the organisation of various events by the European institutions and the Member States.
More about general Europe Day
Europe day celebration in Venice takes place with this format since 2013:
Go to the 2019 edition
- 24 events including seminars, celebrations, screenings and meetings in almost 1 month of the event
- 2000 participations of interested people among young people and citizens in attendance and thanks to subsequent visualisations
- high public appreciation of the initiatives rated 9-10/10 in the appreciation questionnaire
- 33 partners operationally involved between local, national and European institutions and organisations
- massive social coverage with over 300 posts and stories on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter with thousands of interactions between comments, likes and shares
- dozens of articles in the local press
- almost 34,000 people reached with the 3 newsletters sent by email
- Consiglio d'Europa - Ufficio di Venezia
- Parlamento europeo - Ufficio a Milano
- Commissione europea - Rappresentanza in Italia