VeUMEU Venice Universities' Model European Union 2019
VeUMEU Venice Universities' Model European Union
10.00-18.00 Venice International University
Isola di San Servolo, Venezia
Free entrance for registered students
From 10 to 12 May 2019 the third edition of VeUMEU Venice Universities' Model European Union, simulation of the legislative procedure of the European Union, was held in Venice at the VIU in the island of San Servolo, under the High Patronage of the European Parliament and is the fruit of the collaboration between:
- Venice International University,
- Università Ca' Foscari di Venezia,
- Venice Diplomatic Society,
- Europe Direct del Comune di Venezia,
- Bringing Europeans Together Association (BETA Italia),
- Eiuc-European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights,
- San Servolo Servizi
VeMEU is the simulation of the legislative procedure of the European Union. The participants held the roles of members of the European Parliament and of the Council of the European Union, following the steps of the ordinary legislative procedure that lead to the implementation of European directives and regulations. A group of students also trained the journalists' body, who was instructed to report on the developments of the weekend activities.
VeUMEU is an excellent opportunity for students to get closer to the world of multilateral diplomacy and to refine their negotiating and leadership skills. Students will learn how the European legislative process works, the rules of procedure, the introduction of amendments and the way in which EU directives and regulations are drafted.
The themes selected by the organizing committee view the plenary sessions of the two chambers, the European Union Council and the Parliament, were:
- GDPR: Directive (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council, of the 27 April 2016, on the conditions of on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (general regulation on the protection of personal data (GDPR))) (Procedure of the European Parliament 2012 / 0011 (COD)).
- Fishing: Directive (EU) 2017/2403 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2017 concerning the sustainable management of external fishing fleets and repealing regulation (EC) no. 1006/2008 of the Council. (Procedure EP 2015/0289 (COD)).
REGISTRATION AND ATTENDANCE
The event was held in the campus of the Venice International University, San Servolo Island, 10, 11 and 12 May 2018, entirely in English.
Only candidates belonging to the academic institutions Ca 'Foscari University of Venice and VIU Venice International University may be selected, who have sent their application in time, before 21 March 2019.
The selected candidates will be notified by March 2019.
Selected candidates must confirm their participation by April the 4th.
No registration fee is asked, the event is free. Personal expenses, such as lunch and transpost, are up to participants.
Some pictures of the event: